Friday, April 18, 2008

T.G.I.F.?

When I arrived at my desk at 9:05 a.m. this morning, I already had two strikes against me.

1) Whilst driving on my favorite highway to work (no, really, it's my favorite. Is it weird to have a favorite highway?) I saw a flattened mess of a striped tabby cat flung on the left shoulder, complete with a trail of liquid stemming from the poor feline's mangled body. Its ears were still somehow perky though. My heart pretty much broke in two, not going to lie. Great way to start my Friday.

2) When I arrived at work, I came in through the back kitchen door. Usually there isn't anyone in the kitchen, but if so, there's (on average) an 80% chance that I'll never have to do more than give a courteous nod in my fellow co-worker's general direction. This is largely because I do not enjoy early morning conversation- that is, unless you are one of my girlfriends and we are rehashing a hilarious incident that took place hours before, or you are waking up next to me (ahem).

So where does Strike #2 come into play? Oh yes, right. So as I shuffled in through the back door, I had every intention of throwing myself onto the Pop Machine and clawing at the buttons until my prized Can of Crack (Diet Coke to the lay person) came tumbling out. I wanted nothing more than a cold can of DC.

As soon as I passed through the door, I immediately noticed that the kitchen was aflutter with activity. Three or four individuals were milling about, stirring their coffee and placing their home made lunches in the refrigerators. Except one of those individuals was him.

Let me be a lesson to you all: DO NOT I repeat DO NOT date someone you work with. I made the mistake of going on a few harmless dates with a co-worker for a small portion of last summer. We took it slow because, hello, the risks were far greater than the potential reward. We became quite close emotionally (yawn) and then things just fell apart. We managed to stay friends up until last December, when I decided that I was utterly sick of him and his flirtatious deceptions. After our Office Christmas party, I quite literally never spoke to him again.

Of course he never understood why, and still doesn't to this day. But I am not to be trifled with, and I'd rather spend my time working (gag) then waste my quality time talking to him.

I've had many awkward encounters with him since, but today almost took the cake. He was standing RIGHT NEXT TO my beloved Pop Machine, as if he KNEW that I was dying for some icy cold caffeinated goodness.

I started walking towards the machine, but quickly turned and literally did an "about face" and marched through the door on the opposite end of the kitchen, but not before making direct eye contact with said individual, who mirrored back my indifferent and haughty stare.

Sigh.

I should have figured this would happen. I had to wait a good 10 minutes before cautiously tip toeing back into the kitchen in hopes that he was gone. Who lurks in fear in their place of employment? Oh yeah, this girl. Thankfully he and I work in two very different departments and I usually never see him unless I physically get up and walk to the other end of the office.

All kinds of AWK.

Anyway. I've been feeling a bit lackluster in the blogging department as of late. I have so many ideas for posts, but I lack the enthusiasm and drive to actually write them. I'm hoping that I come out of this funk soon, because I have so much to say, namely about my recent vacation. I want to apologize if anyone feels like I've been scaling back on comments, too. I just have been so drained lately. I do want you all to know that I've loved reading your posts, though! I definitely catch up on them everyday. I'll return to my normal self soon (read: I hope).

I wanted to give a huge and rather belated shout out to Nicole Antoinette who guest blogged for me while I was in Italy. Thanks Ms. N! I bought this wonderful lady a present in Italy and I'm shipping it to her next week. I really want to take a picture of it and post it here, but then she'll see it, and I want it to be a surprise.

As much as the weather is making everyone spunkier, a lot of people in my life (bloggie and "real" friends alike) seem rather despondent as of late. Big hugs to everyone who is going through a tough time. I've been in a sour mood all week, with my main highlight occurring on Wednesday when I had another job interview. Some of you might recall the incidents of my previous job interview- well, fear not, I didn't get that job but it was close. Someone with more experience beat me to it. Rats. However judging from that creepy Door Man, maybe it was a blessing in disguise. But if you can, cross your fingers for me on this new opportunity. I applied for something pretty basic, but they interviewed me for a senior specialist position. I would absolutely die of happiness if I got it. We'll see.

The Enigma is DJ-ing at a loungy bar in the loop tonight. I've never seen him spin before, although I have heard his music and quite honestly? I love it. His music is considered electro/aggressive/experimental. It's super cool. Main influences? Depeche Mode and Duran Duran just to name a few. I'm really excited to see him in his element, although the older I get the more I start to really loathe "the industry" and the image/people associated with it. The Enigma has his own DJ persona and he's supposedly known for being wild, a trash talker, and just generally aggressive. Whereas I can picture this, it really amuses me because I've only seen his other side, which is quiet, shy, sweet, and thoughtful.

I have a feeling I will be very amused tonight.

Some of my girlfriends are joining me, and tonight will mark the first time his world and that of my friends collide. I'm pretty nervous about it, but I don't really know why.

More to come, soon. I promise. Miss you all!

6 comments:

Joe White said...

tgifmff.

Katelin said...

oh man, hope your day gets better. it is friday anyways?

Anonymous said...

Seeing the cat would have broken my heart as well :(

Hope you have fun tonight!

Jamie Lovely said...

Have fun!

Sid said...

LOL! Yeah not a morning person either. And I'd also have been really upset after seeing the cat. Hope your day gets better soon.

Kayleigh said...

Fort Knocks: TSN...F

Katelin: Thank you! Friday decided to throw me a curveball: see exhibit A, aka my latest post. Gah!

Jenn: I KNOW. It was awful! Thanks!!

Jamie Lovely: Hi dear! Thanks!!

Sid: Hi, thanks for the comment! You're sweet!