Monday, October 27, 2008

I Need Your Prayers

I am rarely deadly serious on this blog. But I've just been issued devastating news and I need to just...know that people out there might be willing to send good thoughts and prayers in my family's direction.

Even now I don't know how to say it without it sounding cold and distant, but I don't know how else to express my emotions right now.

My maternal grandmother battled breast cancer when I was in high school, and beat it. One huge hurdle in the family. We all thought at the time that her illness was our big test of faith, of courage, and of will. Look what happened, too- we beat it!

Then, last Christmas, my 3 year old cousin got bacterial meningitis. He was hospitalized for 3 months, and is now permanently brain damaged. He can't speak, can't walk, can't take care of himself, and it's still a question as to if he is aware of his surroundings/can recognize faces.

When that happened, I thought to myself "This is it. There is no way that this isn't the biggest test of our family's life." My cousin should have died a hundred times over but he always pulled through. His case is so incredible that he is used as a teaching tool for doctors at their Children's Hospital. My mom spent the first 2 months of 2008 away from home, helping their family take care of their house and their other two kids. We are all so thankful that my cousin is still with us, despite the fact that the little boy we used to know is gone forever. We mourn the loss of someone who is still alive.

I thought I had already been dealt with all the bad news I could handle for 2008. I thought that I was about to close out this year while holding my breath, keeping any other bad news at bay. I was wrong.

Tonight my mother called me and informed me that one of her sisters has breast cancer. She isn't even 50. I am horrified, hurt, angry, scared, and at a loss. She's having a test done in a few days to see if it has crept to any other areas of her body. I'm scared for her, I'm scared for my mom's health, and as the only daughter between my mom and her sisters, I am terrified for me. It sounds selfish to hear news about someone else and immediately think of you and your immediate family, but I couldn't help it. I'm just scared, and I want to know when is this all going to stop? When?

Then my mom decides to tell me that my aunt and uncle, the parent's of my cousin that had the illness mentioned above, are getting a divorce. In fact, my uncle moved out of his house two months ago, and is now living with my aunt who is sick. A dysfunctional pair of sadness, humiliation, and fear. My mom's side of the family is like the Brady Bunch. She's the oldest of 6, and we all run like a pack. We're tight. We're old-fashioned and old-school. This sort of thing just....doesn't happen in my family. We are all so close and now we are being wrenched apart.

I don't know what to think of anymore. I went to church last night at an absolutely gorgeous cathedral and couldn't shake this sinking feeling the entire time. I had a feeling that I would be coming there more often. I just knew that something was about to happen. I brushed it off to some other things, not realizing that this was indeed what was coming. How could I know?

So whether you are religious or not, take a second to just have a little chit chat with God on behalf of my family. We really need it.

I promise I will return to regular postings this week. Thanks for listening.

22 comments:

Chele said...

Kayleigh, I am so sorry to read about all this.
I will send you a prayer for you and your family when I go to the temple.
*big bear hug*
You seem close to your family and hope you can find the strength in each other to get through and I always believe...never stop believing on miracles.

Lucy said...

Aww Kayleigh. I am extremely sorry to read about the not-happy-Jan events that have plagued your family.

You could always watch The Lion King, Circle of Life, Timon and Pumba, that sort of stuff to help..

Anyway, sending an prayer to your family and hope things get better.

Mandy said...

I am so sorry for all the struggles you and your fmaily are going through right now. I will send up a prayer for you all and know that I am sending lots of good thoughts your way. *Hugs*

Heidi Renée said...

I was just sitting here sniffling away, and my littlest cat jumped up on the table to do kisses. We're thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

You know we're all sending you and your family the best possible vibes. Let us know if you need anything else! I <3 you lady!

Anonymous said...

you and your family are in our prayers.

I can understand your feelings completly and don't feel bad for feeling that way or for worrying about yourself. it's not selfish. the important thing is to go to your doctor and check on it every year so if something does happen, you catch it early.

I use to be really angry and resentful at what has happened to my son but my son is so strong and has taught me so much and even though I can't see the reasons behind the things God does, I know that he still loves us and has helped us get through everything, every step of the way.

Anonymous said...

Aw Kayleigh, I'm sorry to hear about all this.

Sending prayers and good vibes your way <3

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your family. Mine has gone through some rough times and it is hard to deal with so much at once.

Sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all this, that is a lot for one family to go through. I will send out my prayers for you and yours. Hang in there!

P said...

Bloody hell, that's a lot of crap to happen in a short space of time!

I hope you are okay and although I am a very bad Catholic, I'll say a little prayer to my little angel brother Mark for you.

Keep strong.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry, Kayleigh-- you'll be in my thoughts. Hugs :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I'm not much for prayers, but I am thinking good thoughts for your family.

My mom spent all of last year kicking Breast Cancer in the ass - so I know about the proceedings for that if you wanna talk about it. Let me know?

Chris said...

I will definitely send one up for you. All my best. Loves.

Katelin said...

oh kayleigh i am so sorry. i hope everything works out and i will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. you can do it.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

sending you happy thoughts. hope everything gets a little lighter for you very very soon.

Bayjb said...

Oh Kayleigh honey, I'm so sorry. There is no reason why this is happening right now to your family and I wish I could do something to make you feel better. You are absolutely in my prayers right now and I'm pulling for all of you. This is definitely a test, but stay together and you will get through it together.

Anonymous said...

hugs, and thoughts, and prayers are with you all.

Anonymous said...

hey kayleigh -- jenn from flawed and free is sending people to love up on you, so here i am. :) i am so so sorry to hear about all the crap your family is dealing with. it just flat out sucks, and nothing anyone says makes it any better. been there. you totally have my prayers. be thinking about you. :) hang in there.

Kayleigh said...

An open letter to everyone who commented and/or read this post of mine:

I am so, so, so thankful and grateful for you all. I cannot describe how much it meant to me to read every single thing you all wrote to me. Such a rapid and strong outpouring of love and support pleasantly shocked me and honestly made it easier to get through this day. I woke up to new comments, and happy thoughts. I almost called in sick to work today, but I read what you guys started to say, and I pulled myself together. You have no idea how much you've helped me. Thank you for thinking of my family during this trying time.

xo

nicole antoinette said...

I know this is a little late, but you and your family are in my most sincere and optimistic thoughts tonight.

Mega said...

Hugs.

Princess Pointful said...

It is hard when everything comes crashing down at once. My thoughts are your way.