Friday night was spent listening to Sia rock the Metro stage with Courtney and Morgan. Sia Furler comes from the downtempo musical genre and hails from Brisbane, Australia and is quite possibly my favorite female artist. I don't usually favor or particularly enjoy a lot of female artists but she's literally mesmerizing. I've never seen her perform live until this weekend and my mind is honestly blown. This definitely ranks as one of the best concerts of all time. You know she's extraordinary if I purposely missed the Coheed and Cambria show (which was going on simultaneously at another venue) to see her.Her set was rather unique. She had a giant pink backdrop with "Sia" scrawled in kid's writing, along with some stick figure drawings of her and flowers. Giant fluorescent daisies peeked out from various spots on stage, and changed colors on cue. Piles of stuffed animals were strewn all across the set, and a turquoise monkey with Velcro hands was hugging onto the mike stand for dear life.
Sia and her band came out wearing black jumpsuits with glow-in-the-dark giant neon smiley faces and tape on their bodies to make it seem like they were smiling stick figures. After the opening song they ditched that get up and got down to business.
Sia herself is very shy, like little kid shy- twirling your hair around your pinky finger and kicking the ground with the toe of your sneakers kind of shy. After every single song she never ceased to seem impressed and bewildered that people were clapping wildly for her. "Why THAYYYNNK YEW!!!" was her mantra. Her shy and meek persona instantly dissolved the second the music started playing. She suddenly became serious and confident and belted out the most incredible voice.
I've always wished that I could sing and be in a band. I watched Sia and thought about how in an alternative life of mine I would be her on stage performing for hundreds of people and baring my heart on my sleeve for others to use as a window to themselves. I would abandon my conversative lifestyle and embrace the life of a bohemian woman, traveling all over the world performing in different places every night, chain smoking with an edgy haircut and hipster threads, hanging out in the wings and dreaming from airplane seats.
If you've never heard her music please do me (and you) a favor. Download: Breathe Me, Little Black Sandals, Academia, and Buttons in that order. You won't be sorry that you did. Why don't you have a listen?
"I am a dash and you are a dot
When will you see that I am all that you’ve got
I’m a binary code that you cracked long ago
But to you I’m just a novel that you wish you’d never wrote
I’m greater than x and lesser than y, so why is it
that I still can’t catch your eye?
You’re a cryptic crossword, a song I’ve never heard
While I sit here drawing circles I’m afraid of being hurt
Oh academia you can’t pick me up
Soothe me with your words when I need your love
You’re a difficult equation with a knack for heart evasion
Will you listen to my proof or will you add another page on
It appears to me the graph has come and stolen all the laughs
It appears to me the pen has over analysed again
And if I am a number I’m infinity plus one
And if you are five words you are afraid to be the one
And if you are a number you’re infinity plus one
And if I am four words then I am needing of your love"



2 comments:
saw your comment on truth bombs about sia and had to come read.
I saw her last fall too and will be seeing her again this Friday. I am BEYOND excited because seriously? She's fantastic.
And I LOVE how everyone who has seen her has said the exact same thing. For real. Ha.
ahh another sia fanatic!!! i am flattered that you came and checked out my little sia rant. where did you see her last fall? you are so lucky to be seeing her again this upcoming weekend. you have no idea how sad i was when i drove past her show last friday.
i think it's awesome how everyone says the same thing about her. watching and listening to her live makes me feel happy to be alive as cheesy as that sounds...but still, it just makes SENSE.
Post a Comment