Thursday, February 12, 2009

Kayleigh's Got Her Groove Back

In the course of the last few months, I've amassed some "key learnings" if you will. Jess from Everyday Adventures in the City coined this phrase and writes a synopsis of her weekly key learnings every Monday. Hopefully she won't mind that I'm about to steal this idea and smuggle it over to this ole blog.

So what have I been up to? Great question. In the short answer: failing with men, journeying to Asia, gorging on delicious food, drinking a lot, etc. See? Nothing has really changed, has it?

Without any further adieu I'd like to present my "15 Key Learnings" of the Last Month or So. If you'd like me to expand on anything, comment it out, and I will build out a bigger post around it. Otherwise, psssfftttt!

So break out the fanfare, the champagne, and your awkward dance moves, because here we go...

1. It is 2009, and there are 25 year old men who still have bowl hair cuts.

2. It's pretty cool to stumble upon a Kimodo Dragon in the wild, until later you realize that it could have killed you.


3. Going from 90 degrees to -15 in less than 48 hours will make you feel insane and ill all at once.

4. While dining outside at a Vietnamese night market, don't just point randomly at something on the menu without knowing exactly what it is. The "dinner" will be served with its eyes, head, and organs still intact.

5. Elephants can paint pictures!



6. It's actually possible to get a "palms sweaty, I can't stop thinking about you" starry eyed silly puppy dog crush on a man 30 years older than you who is actually the same age as your father. Oops.

7. Getting up once on a 15+ hour flight is a bad choice. Trust me.



8. It is perfectly acceptable for all traffic to halt in the middle of rush hour in Bangkok so a man can walk his pet elephant across the street.

9. Ninety-nine percent DEET bug spray FAILS to repel mosquitos when you're deep in the Cambodian jungle.


10. When running from the Vietnamese police, always dive straight into a nearby bar. That way you can keep drinking, and chances are there is a secret nightclub upstairs.

11. Drinking 8 shots of vodka, 3 Buttery Nipple shots, and countless beers will somehow NOT make you throw up. I'm dubbing this the "miracle combination!"

12. If you're wearing a football jersey, Ugg boots, and a knit hat and crash your friend's salsa dancing class, men will still line up to dance with you.

13. Having sushi for the 3rd time in one week is that much more enjoyable if your ex is paying for it.

14. To cross the street in Saigon, Vietnam, you must walk very slowly into traffic that is coming straight at you at 60 miles per hour. This is due to the absolute lack of traffic rules or lights. Running across the streets, however, will get you a one way ticket to the morgue.



And finally, my personal favorite:

15. If you go out with a day trader that has A.D.D., he might give you one of his credit cards on the 2nd date and never ask for it back.

23 comments:

Heidi Renée said...

YAAAAAAAY!

Drinks on you (or, ahem, Mr. ADD)?

And do tell, where are these bowl-cut men? Do they also have rat-tails?

Rahul said...

I want an elephant.

Paintings unnecessary.

Mandy said...

Asia! How fun, well minus the animal with organs intact for dinner.....

pj said...

I have a bowl cut and members only jacket, they are both cool.

Anonymous said...

Vietnamese police?!

Pretty Unfamous said...

Wow! Your ankles! Oh yikes.

I hope you had fun on your travels! It looks like you did.

B said...

ASIA?!?! That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fantastical!

Stephanie said...

How awesome is that!?!!! What a wonderful experience. That is so exciting. And an elephant painting a picture...that blows my mind.

Katelin said...

wow your adventures sound amazing. granted i think i would have passed out if i saw a kimodo dragon or if my food still had its organs, haha.

Anonymous said...

YAY YOU'RE BACK!

Holy fuck, I haven't seen a bowl-cut since...4th grade?

Larissa said...

Elephants and komodo dragons...so cool!

Anonymous said...

um hi, jealous, party of one? looks like you had an amazing trip! and bowl cut? i have a picture at my desk circa 1985 and i was totally rocking one. ;)

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

holy crap! your poor ankles!!!

welcome back.

P said...

Good god, those ankles look like they must belong to someone else! how long did it take for the swelling to go down???

Maxie said...

Will you buy my ticket to the 20sb meetup with that credit card please?

I'd also like to know more about this secret nightclub biz!

Bayjb said...

So good to have you back, and thanks for the linky love/stealing my feature. It's cool, mine are up tonight!

He didn't ask for the credit card back? Did you charge anything? I miss you!

Princess Pointful said...

Look who's back! Wooo!
And running away from the police? Stories, yes?

Chele said...

I am so happy your trip was so fun and you met a kimmodo dragon, I see them all the time...but I am still so bummed I did not get to see you at all. I was in Bangkok on New Years and would have loved to take you out.
Gotta love vodka shot drinking in asia..

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE BAAACK!!!! yaaaayyy

:) a bit much enthusiasm? oh well.. i love your posts and am just glad you're back. sounds like you had a great trip.

oh btw, i wanted to put u up on my blogroll and was wondering if that'd be cool.

Princess Hippopotamus said...

I need to know more details about #15! Glad to see your back! The ankle picture freaked me out.

Anonymous said...

How fun! I could use a little trip around the world myself. Maybe next year.

Anonymous said...

More explanation on #10 please...

and YAY for #12!!

XO,
Court

Andhari said...

HAHAHA where did you see komodo dragon? It's our native animal, and I live in Indonesia.